February did not go as planned, but that’s ok. I had the opportunity to take (and pass!) the first round of training to be a fitness instructor, I joined a congregation, and donated more money than planned. Focusing on some of my other priorities this month led to being a bit less intentional with my money. I will take the opportunity in March to continue with my spiritual and physical health while maintaining my financial plan.
We were still able to make a lot of progress towards debt elimination this month. Tax refunds were good to us in February. However, to sustain momentum, we will really have to check our spending that got a little crazy this month.
Progress from February:
- Healthy Change in Perspective. This month I began to recognize the notion that my financial plan is a long-term shift in our values alignment. The debt will go away because we have changed how we live. How long that takes (30 months vs. 39 months) really doesn’t matter that much. What matters is living in alignment with our core family values and creating the life we love now.
- Continued to Increase Charitable Contributions. I think I went a little overboard this month because I managed to give away in a single month over half of what did for the entire year of 2018. While giving is important, even while in debt, I do need to remember that being on more solid footing for my finances is important. I can increase giving at a more sustainable pace.
- Debt Progress: Here are the numbers for the end of January:
- Balance Transfer 1 (0% through July 2019): $1,800.00
- Balance Transfer 2 (0% through November 2019): $8,100.00
- Balance Transfer 3 (0% through April 2020): $7,450.35
- Roof Loan (SoFi Personal Loan @ 11%): $4,733.54
Amount paid off this month: $1,775.49
Amount paid off TOTAL: $14,004.89
Impressive payoff amount for a single month! Next month is Min’s and my birthdays, so we will probably celebrate in some fashion. However, we will focus on some ways to do so frugally!
Goals for March:
- Return to frugality with our spending.
- Maintain sanity through meditation during the competition month for J’s Destination Imagination.
- Memorize my choreography for part two of my BANG training and improve my fitness level through training regularly.